We know that printing your dissertation and getting it bound can be stressful. Here are some tips to help you.
Before you send your document to print, make sure you’ve checked your course handbook, as that’s where you will usually find all the instructions you will need to follow, such as font size, spacing, etc.
When you send your document to print, make sure you choose the correct Printer.
- For printing in Black & White please select option BW-pull-pcl on class-print.uoa.abdn.ac.uk as the Printer.
- For printing in Colour please select option COLOUR-pull-pcl on class-print.uoa.abdn.ac.uk as the Printer. If you only wish to print certain pages in colour, please make sure you specify the range in the Settings. Please remember to retrieve the job from a Colour printer.
Colour Printers in the libraries
The colour printers in The Sir Duncan Rice Library are on Floors 1, 2, 6 and 7. There are also colour printers in the Taylor (Law) and Medical libraries – The Medical Library has a colour printing facility in both A4 & A3 size.
It can take quite a long time for the printer to receive a large document. To reduce your waiting time, you can send your document in sections, e.g. pages 1-50 and then pages 51-100.
More detailed information on printing is available on the Toolkit
Once you have finished printing your dissertation, you can have it bound at the University’s Print Shop.
There are currently two options when it comes to soft binding:
- Comb & Ring style: plastic rings with acetate paper covers.
- Metal style: metal spine thermal glued with acetate paper covers.
For pricing and service times, please check here.
The Print Shop operates on a ‘first come, first served’ basis.
If you choose to have your dissertation both printed and bound at the Print shop, then please make sure you:
- Use the default MSWord margins either for single or double sided (set up mirror imaging layout) printing of your dissertation.
- Send your PDF by email preferably 3-4 days before your deadline.
Tip: During hand-in/deadline days, it’s best if you have your dissertation already printed and just visit the Print Shop well in advance to have it bound as the completion time for Comb & Ring and Metal style may be longer than the usual 30 minutes.
Remember – Library and IT staff are always happy to help!
Elaine Fitzgerald email@example.com – Eleni Papadakou firstname.lastname@example.org