Here at the Library Service we have so many great resources available on the shelves and online that at times it can be difficult to find what you really need amongst all the possibilities. And because we believe you should be spending the majority of your time reading materials and not looking for them we have a range of free workshops to help you learn how to get your hands on the best books, articles, reports and other information in the shortest time possible.
These are our Find it Fast! Information Skills Workshops, and they will begin at the start of October to help all undergraduate and taught postgraduate students navigate the library landscape, which can at times seem filled with so much choice.
They will be running between October 6 and 29, are held over lunch time in The Sir Duncan Rice Library and are a great introduction to the services and resources we provide and the best ways in which you can make use of them. They cover:
- Using Primo, our online resource discovery tool for locating physical and electronic resources.
- How to access the hundreds of thousands of electronic books which we have access to.
- Using the many online databases which we subscribe to. They contain important resources which you just cannot find by searching in Google!
- Using Google cleverly to get you to the information you need more quickly.
- How to manage your references correctly when writing assignments to ensure that you do not fall into the trap of plagiarism.
Invest one hour of your time over lunch to learn tips and techniques that will repay you with time saved when searching for the materials you need for assignments and exams.
- The ‘RefWorks – Managing References and Creating Bibliographies’ workshops are offered in two parts so you must complete part 1 before attending part 2.
- Unfortunately, these referencing workshops are not suitable for Law students as the software taught does not support the legal referencing style, OSCOLA.
- And, because we offer repeats of most of the workshops please be sure to only sign up for one of each of them.
To find out more and to view the full list of Find it Fast! workshops on offer please go to www.abdn.ac.uk/coursebooking and search for Information Skills courses.
Places are limited, and fill up quickly, so sign up now before it’s too late.
Ewan Grant, Information Adviser