Printing with MFDs: networked PCs, wireless & cloud-based printing
Any printing on campus is via networked multi-function devices (MFDs). You can send files for printing from a classroom PC or your personal laptop. There are printers in or near all PC classrooms and at least one printer on each floor of The Sir Duncan Rice Library.
Print from a networked (classroom) PC
To print from a network PC, you need to send your files to a holding queue, e.g. BW-pull-pcl on class-print.uoa.abdn.ac.uk You can retrieve your files from any MFD on campus by logging in to it using your ID card or your username & password.
- For Word documents: select the File tab, then Print. For PDFs: select the printer icon in the toolbar
- Select the name of the printer, e.g. BW-pull-pcl on class-print.uoa.abdn.ac.uk
By default, the printers will print double-sided. You can edit the default settings by clicking on ‘Printer Properties’/’More settings’
- When ready, click on the large ‘Print’ icon
- Log in to any MFD to print your document
For more information see guide: ‘Quick guide to printing’ available at www.abdn.ac.uk/toolkit/documents/uploads/mfd-printing.pdf
Print from your laptop (Windows 10)
To send a job from your laptop to a networked printer, your laptop must be connected to eduroam. It is not possible to print to a University MFD from home or off-campus.
Steps for connecting your laptop to the printing network:
- Open the Run Command by pressing the Windows logo key + R on your keyboard or use the Windows search field
- Type the following command \\printanywhere.uoa.abdn.ac.uk and press Enter or click OK
- Double-click on MFD-PULL-BW, then click on Install Driver. Click Yes if prompted.
- Repeat the above steps for MFD-PULL-COLOUR
The selected printer names should now appear on your list of printer options (screenshot) in the print dialog box. You will not need to repeat this process every time you wish to print from your laptop.
For instructions on how to set up your Mac or MacBook to the printing network, see guide: ‘Printing – Mac or MacBook OS X 10.13.6’ available at
Print using Web Print
With Web Print you can upload files to the web, assign a print queue, then log in to an MFD and collect your print jobs from the MFD as normal. Web Print is a method of printing when working on the move.
Steps for uploading files to print:
- Enter the following address into your browser https://webprint.abdn.ac.uk/
- On the Web Print page, log in with your username and password
- On the My Print jobs page, choose the file you wish to upload and click on Next
If the upload is successful, you will see the following message: “Your print job has been added successfully. I will be processed automatically in a moment”
You will then see details of your file, including date and time, file name, pages, status
- When processed, the file status will change from Processing to Awaiting Release
You will see two options: Colour-Pull and Mono-Pull. For Black & White, select Mono
- When you are ready to send the file to print, click on the button containing the name of the required printer – this will change the file status to Printed. Retrieve the job from the MFD
- Log out from the top right corner of the screen
Please note that with Web Print, there is no option to print single-sided.
For details on emailing files to Web Print, see page 3 of guide: ‘Printing – Mac or PC laptops Using Web Print’ available at https://www.abdn.ac.uk/toolkit/documents/uploads/web-print-laptop.pdf
How much does printing cost?
Black & White A4 single-sided 3 pence per sheet
Black & White A4 double-sided 5 pence per sheet
Colour A4 single sided 10 pence per sheet
Colour A4 double sided 19 pence per sheet
For more information see guide ‘Quick Guide to Printing’ available at
Top-up your print budget
New students start with an initial print budget of £1. Each time you use your ID card to print or copy, the relevant cost is deducted from your print budget.
To top-up your print budget, go to https://printmanage.abdn.ac.uk/
- On classroom PCs, access the PrintManage system by using the Desktop shortcut
- On personal laptops/PCs, go to https://printmanage.abdn.ac.uk/ and switch user to Use another account
You will need to log in to the system using your username (e.g. u01abc01) and password. All payments are made in exact multiples of £1 and minimum payment is £5 with maximum payment being £20.
Cash payments can be made in person in the following locations:
- Medical Library (Foresterhill): Issue Desk
- The Sir Duncan Rice Library: Hardback Café
- Students’ Union Building (formerly known as “The Hub”): The Bear Essentials shop
To check your balance:
Swipe your card on the MFD and tap the Pull Print icon. At the top left of the window you will see your name, the number of documents in your printing queue and the amount of credit remaining in your account.
Note: Remember to not top-up more than you need; remaining amounts are not refunded.
For more information see: www.abdn.ac.uk/it/student/print/index.php#panel1234
The IT service desk is located on Floor 1 of The Sir Duncan Rice Library and is open Monday to Friday 09:00-17:00. (Wednesdays: 10:45-17:00) There is also an IT service desk in the Polwarth Building, room 1:122 on the Foresterhill campus.