New in the library? Read on for a whistle-stop tour of all floors in The Sir Duncan Rice Library!
Lower Ground Floor
Special Collections Centre: home to the University’s historic collections of books, manuscripts and archives. Facilities and services in Special Collections include the Glucksman Conservation Centre, a listening room, a microfilm room and lockers.
Here you will find the Welcome Desk, the Returns Room, the Hardback Café, a short-stay PC area and the self-registration and public information PCs. Don’t forget to visit the Gallery and check out the Canaletto exhibition between January 21 and February 22.
The Sir Duncan Rice Library is home to about 400,000 books and hundreds of journal titles in paper format. Students & staff at the University of Aberdeen also have access to over 200,000 e-books, 20,000 e-journals and 200 databases.
Subjects and collections are distributed as follows in The Sir Duncan Rice Library:
(Numbers in brackets indicate the location of items on shelves)
Information Centre, IT service desk, Heavy Demand, maps, DVDs and current newspapers collections
Print journals collection
Biography and Genealogy (920)
Earth Sciences & Geology (550)
Life Sciences & Biology (570)
History and Philosophy of Science (Sc prefix)
Social Sciences, Sociology and Anthropology (300)
Politics & International Relations (320)
Computer Science (000)
On every floor beside the MFDs, there are notice boards with detailed shelfmark information
Other useful information regarding study spaces and help & services available:
- PC classrooms: Floor 2 (but more PCs throughout the library)
- Silent study rooms and co-labs: Floors 3-6
- Group study rooms: Floor 1 & 7
- Group study pods: Floor 1
- Assistive technology booths: Floors 1 & 4
- Reader carrel: Floor 3
- Information Points (for help with subject-related inquiries): Floors 3-6
- Self-issue machines and MFDs (printers): Floors 1-7 (no self-issue machine on Floor 2)
- Teaching Resources Collection: Floor 6
- Music Resources room: Floor 1
- Toilets and water fountains can be found on all floors
- First Aid room: Floor 1
Useful guide to the library:
Library induction (video):
Eleni Borompoka, email@example.com