To maximise social distancing and slow the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19), Taylor Library and Medical Library closed at 17:00 on Tuesday 17th March until further notice.
The Sir Duncan Rice Library (TSDRL) will remain open until 17:00 on Friday 20th March and will close at 20:00 on Wednesday 18th and Thursday 19th March. The Hardback Café and Library Gallery have now closed.
Wolfson Reading Room – as of Tuesday 17th March, physical access to the Wolfson Reading Room has been suspended. Service updates will be provided via our webpages https://www.abdn.ac.uk/special-collections/
For all libraries:
- Any borrowed items will automatically be renewed until further notice. Loans will not become overdue and no fines will accrue.
- If you require additional loans while the Library is closed we will be happy to extend loan allowances by up to 10 items – please bring items to the Information Centre for issuing in advance of Friday 20th March at 16:45.
- The option to request items that are currently on loan has been removed from Primo.
- Items can be retrieved from Taylor Library and closed access stores until 15:00 on Friday 20th March by contacting email@example.com
- Book order requests – we strongly recommend choosing items in electronic format to maximise availability for students who are now working at a distance
- We are unable to process new Inter-Library Loan requests as many university libraries are no longer supporting this service while they prepare their COVID-19 contingency plans.
The Library web pages will be regularly updated with FAQs. Library staff will be monitoring email accounts and will be available to answer any general enquiries during office hours.
Please get in touch, and we will do our best to help – contact details below.
For subject-related and search enquiries please contact the Information Consultant for your discipline: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/library/support/contacts-106.php#panel162
From Thursday 12 March, The Sir Duncan Rice Library will close every night at 22:00 instead of midnight to allow for intensive cleaning. The University is closely monitoring the COVID-19 outbreak and is making every effort to ensure our buildings are clean and safe for our community.
Study spaces in the MacRobert Building will remain available 24/7.
The University is following national guidance and our plans are under continuous review. At the moment we are still preparing for 24-hour opening of The Sir Duncan Rice Library from 19 April in the lead up to the May diet of exams, but we will continue to monitor the situation and update you of developments.
While the University is increasing cleaning of buildings, staff and students should continue to follow NHS guidance on personal hygiene, including:
- Regularly washing your hands with soap and water
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue or into a flexed elbow, then throw the tissue in the bin, and wash your hands
Soap supplies are checked regularly but please let a member of staff know immediately if soap needs to be replenished.
More information and FAQs can be found at www.abdn.ac.uk/coronavirus.
If you have a question that is not included in our FAQs, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Professor George Boyne, University Principal, and Professor Ruth Taylor, Vice-Principal for Education, will speak at an informal drop-in session taking place on Floor 7 of The Sir Duncan Rice Library, on Friday 31 January 2020 between 13:00 and 15:00. The Principal will be announcing a new University fund to initiate additional research links with European universities and to strengthen existing links.
Staff from the University’s Human Resources, International and Research and Innovation teams will be on hand with advice on a broad range of issues connected to the UK’s departure from the EU, including information on immigration for EU staff and students, study abroad opportunities through Erasmus, and future arrangements for cross-European research partnerships.
This interactive event will also invite staff and students to share their ideas on how the University can continue to foster links with Europe and develop existing partnerships.
For more information, please visit:
The Library Service will soon be holding a sale of books that have been withdrawn from library stock. These are books that are duplicates of items in our collection or donations that are not required.
The sale will be held on Floor 1 of The Sir Duncan Rice Library for one week, from Monday February 10 until Sunday February 16.
From Monday 10/2 to Wednesday 12/2 inclusive, the sale will only be available to University of Aberdeen students and staff. Please show your University ID card at purchase.
The sale will not start until 9 a.m. each day and 11 a.m. on Sunday, once staff begin work at the Information Centre on Floor 1 of The Sir Duncan Rice Library. You will not be able to purchase any books before the above times.
The cost of the books will be:
- Hardback – 50 pence
- Paperback – 25 pence
- Cash till only – no cards.
There will be books available from across a whole range of subjects, and at those prices it is certainly worth coming and having a look to see what bargains you may be able to get.
Come along to one of our Find it Fast! sessions starting this week and learn all about new Primo and other resources available to you here at the University of Aberdeen.
Our Find it Fast! series of workshops is aimed at Undergraduates and Taught Postgraduate Students and covers:
- using new Primo, our online resource discovery tool for locating physical and electronic resources
- how to search for the hundreds of thousands of electronic books which we have access to
- using the many online databases which we subscribe to. They contain important resources which you cannot find by searching in Google!
- how to manage your references using RefWorks
- getting the best out of Google
The workshops are held over lunch time in The Sir Duncan Rice Library and will run between 21 January and 12 February.
To find out more and book a place on one of these sessions, visit https://www.abdn.ac.uk/coursebooking/ and change the category to Library Information Skills.
If you have any queries, please contact Eleni at email@example.com
The Sir Duncan Rice Library is currently undergoing a programme of works to upgrade and replace some of our existing services.
These works are expected to be completed by Friday the 24th of January.
We apologise for any disruption and inconvenience you experience.
The libraries at the University of Aberdeen will be closing at 4.00 pm on Christmas Eve. They will not reopen again until January 6, 2019. Full details of the opening hours at our different sites can be found on our website.